huis te koop header
Nederlands Frans Engels

DESCRIPTION

Historical property consisting of two impressive houses
situated in a park-like fenced garden with a beautiful driveway with linden trees.

The property is divided into two parcels: An imposing residence and an adjacent  farmhouse.
Both are connected to each other but very well suitable for separate occupation.

Surface area of the site is 4000 m2.
Total habitable surface (both houses) is 400 m2.

The house is situated in the Aveyron, in the "Parc naturel régional des Grands Causses", at the foot of the plateau "l'Aubrac", in a small hamlet.
Originally there were two old majestic buildings here. One of them is now our house, the first part of which was built in 1688 according to an inscription in one of the walls.
The other building was first constructed in the 14th century. This building has had several proprietors and was eventually bought by a farmer who had three sons. And so the hamlet was created because, after the father died, the three sons each received their share of the land and each built his own house. Over the years the farmer families have built some barns near their houses for the storage of feed and for the stay of the cows in the winter. The farmers keep cows of the breed “Aubrac”, a variety that is not kept for the production of milk but of meat. During the summer months the cattle graze on the high plains of the Aubrac. The hamlet is located aprox. 1 km west of the small village Saint Saturnin de Lenne.

The houses are built in different periods between 1688 and 1829.
The construction is old but in a good state of repair with solid walls (80 cm thickness).
The residence as well as the farmhouse are carefully maintained in its original condition.
Only structural modifications are done to have all modern conveniences like toilets, hot and cold running water, bathrooms and a central heating system.
Over the past 15 years a lot has been done for the maintenance, like renovating big parts of the roofs, restoring internal walls and ceilings, and performing paintwork.

The residence is a house with a very distinctive character.
Spacious rooms with parquet floors, mantelpieces, showcases, elegant built-in cupboards, etc. Some of the rooms still got their authentic French linen wallpaper and each room is equipped with a fireplace. Even the living room-cum-kitchen (one of the most favourite rooms) can be heated with wood during spring and autumn.

In the farmhouse the atmosphere is set by the impressive man-sized monumental fireplace, the authentic limestone floor, the vaulted stone ceiling in the kitchen, etc.
Underneath the farmhouse was the stable, currently serving as garage/storage space.
A stone staircase leads to a separate garden.

The prestigious character of the whole complex forms an idea as if old times have not been changed while looking at the traditional building style and the authentic furnishing, the driveway with its linden trees… They are all witnesses of a long and rich past.
Even the old bread oven is used again, although largely for a delicious home-made pizza, but occasionally also bread is baked.

Both houses breathe the atmosphere of past times, tranquility, aesthetics, history, time has stood still. The floors, the old doors, the chimney sheaths, the showcases, the ornate closets, built in the 80cm thick walls, all testify to a long and rich past.

A part of the history:
The current owners obtained the complex in 2002. It has been told by the previous owner that it was the first time that is was sold. Before that, the complex came in to possession by passing down to the following generations.

Halfway the 19th century the owner introduced the production method of the "Bleu des Causses", a delightful blue mould cheese, a variant of the Roquefort. This cheese is still in production.

At the end of the 19th century the property was used as a summer residence of the Guibert family, a well-off manufacturer of gloves in Milllau. Millau is a world-famous town by the manufacture and design of gloves of exceptional beauty and high quality. Nowadays Millau is also known for its beautiful viaduct, a design of the British architect Norman Foster.